Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sloppy Joes and Homemade Hamburger Buns

The other night I made this recipe for sloppy joes and hamburger buns. The buns weren't bad but they turned out more like giant dinner rolls then hamburger buns. I altered the sloppy joe recipe a bit because I was using less meat  so I'll post the revised recipe. I took pictures of the buns but I completely forgot the meat mixture, that's okay I guess most everyone know what they look like anyway.

Sloppy Joes - revised from A Bountiful Kitchen

1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped (if you are planning leftovers, might want to use less, taste was stronger next day)
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
3 tbs Worcestershire
1/4 cup brown sugar (was way to much, should try halving)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
water 1/4 to 1/2 cup to thin sauce, if needed

Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain off any grease. Add chopped onion, green pepper and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until onion is softened. Add tomato paste, sauce, Worcestershire and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat. If mixture is too thick, thin with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water. Serve with hamburger buns, top with cheese, if desired. 
















 
I'm walking to end alzheimer's on Sept 17. If anyone can spare a little bit of money to donate to a good cause, I would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment