Thursday, August 18, 2011

2011 Walk to End Alzheimer's

I will be participating in an alzheimer's walk on September 17, 2011 and would be grateful for any donations anyone can afford to give.

Did you know that alzheimer's is the 6th leading cause of death and every 69 seconds another person develops this disease. In America, there are as many as 5.4 million people living with alzheimer's disease.

One of the people currently living with this disease is my Nanny, which is what I call my grandmother. She was most often a stay at home wife and mother and until a few years ago she did most most of the cooking at her house. In the last few she didn't do any of it.

My grandfather died of cancer last year and towards the end I would come over a couple of days a week, the days the woman from hospice came and helped with his bath. I would keep Nanny distracted so she wouldn't get upset that some strange woman was with her husband and I would make her lunch, not my Pepa's because he had a tomato sandwich everyday and I couldn't peel the tomato to his satisfaction. lol. I would fix their supper for them. Nanny would sit in the kitchen with me.

Sometimes it was like having a child in the kitchen. "Don't touch the pot, it's hot." "I know" she would say. Perhaps she did know but she didn't comprehend. She can also be incredibly impatient. I was making a banana pudding and while I was standing at the stove stirring the custard she would point to the dish filled with cookies and bananas and tell me i was supposed to put the custard in the dish in a bit of a haughty, I know better than you tone of voice. "It's still cooking." We had that conversation at least thirty times... that was the slowest thickening custard ever!

Nanny is a nursing home now. It's not an ideal situation to have to do that but in some ways it's better. One of the family still sees her everyday, there is a doctor who comes in often enough that he was able to adjust her meds and she still gets her bad moods but in general she is much easier to deal with.

I've put a button below and in my sidebar linking to my donation page. I know money is tight and the economy is bad but if you can spare even a dollar or two I would be thankful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment