Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

I should probably start off with the fact that I don't like mashed potatoes. I ate them when I was young, with mayonnaise, I know that's unusual but that's how my mom ate them and she learned it from her stepfather and I have no idea why he started eating that way. Where was I? Oh yeah, I don't like mashed potatoes so it was stupid of me to try a recipe covered in mashed potatoes and think I would like it.

It wasn't all bad, I like the bottom part well enough. I think it would be good as a base for pot pie. I expect a lot of people would want to spice it up a bit but I liked it the way it was. The potatoes were a little softer that I expected, maybe I used too much milk when I made them but I think it was the egg that thinned it down more than I would have expected. I thought the egg would bind it together and thicken it a bit but I guess not.



I found the recipe at recipezaar. The link it here.

  1. If you're making your own, prepare mashed potatoes; set aside.
  2. Brown beef and onion in lg skillet over med-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring til beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and return to skillet.
  3. Add carrots and peas; stir in flour, 1 t salt, 1/4 t pepper,& tomato paste.
  4. Add broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  5. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 7x11” baking dish.
  6. Stir together mashed potatoes, egg, and remaining 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper; spoon over beef mixture.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes; top w/ grated cheddar and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
I also made brownies which I haven't tried yet so I'll post that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment