Thursday, July 30, 2009

Meatloaf, potato cakes, bacon & cabbage



I don't use a recipe for the meatloaf. It's ground beef, a pkg of lipton onion soup mix, an egg or two, ketchup, and a slice or two of bread torn into little pieces. Mix well. Put in a pan ( I have a cook's essentials loaf pan that has a shallower insert with holes in the bottom to let the grease drain away from the meat. Squirt some more ketchup on top. Bake 350 for an hour or until done.

The potato cakes I make are never as good as my mom's. I think part of the reason is that I don't use enough flour and they tend to fall apart a bit. There isn't really a recipe. Take your leftover mashed potatoes and add flour (we've always used self-rising). Shape into patties and fry. We eat them with ketchup.

I found the recipe for the bacon and cabbage at girlichefs blog here I thought it was pretty good I drained a little if the grease because it was really fatty bacon and it turned out fine. It makes a change from boiled cabbage. I also left out the caraway seeds because we didn't have any.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, sounds like a nice satisfying meal! I agree, it's a nice change of pace from a regular boiled cabbage (plus, I heart bacon)! Thanks for the shout-out! :D

    ReplyDelete