Monday, May 14, 2012

Cabbage Noodles

I've got an aunt that makes boiled cabbage and noodles I haven't had often but it's really good seasoned with some Jane's Krazy Mixed-up Salt. I saw this recipe at Handle like candy for something really similar but fried. I thought frying the cabbage brought out a little bit of sweetness, which was nice, but it was a little dry, and I think overall I prefer this dish boiled. It was okay but I'm not sure I would do it this way again.

















Here's the recipe but go to the website for step by step pictures.

Cabbage Noodles
1 head of cabbage - chopped (core removed)
1 bag of egg noodles
1/2 stick of butter (the real thing!)
1/4 cup of Crisco (vegetable shortening) - it's comfort food, remember!
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large skillet, melt the vegetable shortening and add the chopped cabbage. Sautee on medium heat. Stirring occassionally to keep the cabbage moving and so it doesn't burn on the bottom. 

You want the cabbage browned (see below). To be technical, you need to caramelize the cabbage to bring out the sweetness. It will probably take about 35-40 minutes of sauteeing and stirring to get it to this point. Do NOT cover with a lid at any time! You want the water to cook out and caramelize the sugars.  

Now you want to boil the noodles. Once they're tender, drain and mix with the cabbage. I like to let it sit on very low heat so that the noodles have time to absorb some of the butter/shortening and the cabbage flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment