Monday, February 27, 2012

Purple Hull Peas

While my sister was vacationing in Texas I was at Ollie's when I found The Contemporary Cowboy Cookbook. It seemed perfect, I might not be be out west but I could bring the west to me! The first recipe I tried was for purple hull peas. I don't really like beans unless they are green or baked but these weren't too bad, bacon makes everything better. To my serving after it was plated, I added a tiny speck of molasses which cut the beany taste.

 Black-Eyed Peas

1  16 oz. pkg frozen black-eyed peas with snaps or purple hulls or 1 pint fresh peas
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Combine peas, onions, stock, and bacon in a medium pot over medium heat. Bring liquid to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover saucepan and cook until peas are tender, about 30-40 minutes. Make sure the liquid doesn't cook away. They should be almost covered with liquid. When peas are tender add salt and pepper.

To use dried beans: Soak 2 cups peas in water overnight, drain, and proceed as above using 4 cups of stock or water. Do not add salt until tender. Increase cooking time to 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Don't let liquid cook out.

Makes 8 servings

From The Contemporary Cowboy Cookbook by Dottie Griffith


No comments:

Post a Comment