Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Blueberry Buttermilk Bundt Cake

Here's another recipe I made ages ago that I am just getting around to posting. I made it twice. The first time I used real butter and frozen blueberries, it was really good. I made it again the next week using I can't believe it's not butter and fresh blueberries. It was okay but not as good as the first time. I'm not sure which of the changes made the difference. If I'm remembering correctly the buttermilk had been in the fridge awhile and had a stronger smell when I made the first cake, I suppose that could have made a difference as well.

The recipe came from epicurious via The Goddess's Kitchen.

Instead of greasing and flouring the pan I used baker's coating. It's fantastic for cake pans. I've never had anything stick when I use it.
















Blueberry Buttermilk Bundt Cake 

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups frozen blueberries
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour (or use bakers coating)10-inch-diameter Bundt pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 1 2/3 cups sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in orange peel and vanilla. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted near center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.

Cool cake in pan on rack 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely. Transfer cake to plate, sift powdered sugar over or makes a glaze using powdered sugar and a small amount of milk (you can always add more milk, once it's too thin it's almost impossible to thicken it up again).

No comments:

Post a Comment