Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pork barbecue, slaw and onion rings

Pork butts were on sale last week so I needed to find a recipe for barbecue, of course I've made it before but never found a recipe I really liked. So at 9:30 the morning I was planning to cook it I was trying to find a recipe. I had one from Food Wishes bookmarked. He has a video for it and when he pulled the bone out the entire thing fell apart it was so tender, unfortunately his recipe take 12 hours, still I would like to try his method of cooking. So I found another recipe at Bird Food with a more reasonable cooking time, 300 degrees for 6 hours. That's better! Her recipe also had a dry rub, but I didn't have any dry mustard so I had to search for another rub. Found one! Culinary Infatuation had one with ingredients I had on hand though I did alter it slightly.

The recipe I used ended up being....

1 5lb pork butt (shoulder)
2 tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tbs cumin
2 tbs smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs coarse salt
1 tbs black pepper

liquid smoke

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix the ingredients for the rub. Rub on the pork butt. Place butt in enameled dutch oven. put in a ramekin of about a tsp of liquid smoke and filled with water. (next time I would rub smoke on the meat then coat with rub and add a little water to the bottom.) Cover with lid and bake. I checked after about 4 hours and was getting very tender and a little dark so I reduced the temperature to 200 degrees for the remaining 2 hours.

When done remove bone and transfer to cutting board, I used tongs and it was very tender and falling apart. Chop or pull the pork to your desired consistency. Add the barbecue sauce of your choice and make your sandwich.

I really did like this recipe, I might play around with the rub but the technique is definitely a keeper.
















Most people in these parts like slaw on their barbecue sandwiches, not me, but most do. The only slaw I actually like is from KFC, so I decided to try a copy cat recipe that I found on food.com.It had good reviews and for good reason it really did taste a lot like Kentucky Fried Chickens coleslaw. The only substitute I mad was using a tri-color bagged slaw mix that I chopped a little finer by pouring it in a bowl and using kitchen scissors to cut in into smaller pieces. I think it would have been a little closer if I had just used green cabbage.

KFC Coleslaw 
8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head) 
1/4 cup diced carrot 
2 tablespoons minced onions 
1/3 cup granulated sugar 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/8 teaspoon pepper 
1/4 cup milk 
1/2 cup mayonnaise 
1/4 cup buttermilk 
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar 
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Cabbage and carrots must be finely diced.( Not too fine or it won't be like KFC). Pour cabbage and carrot mixture into large bowl and stir in minced onions. Mix remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour over vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly. Cover bowl and refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.





















On night two, I made onion rings to go with the leftovers. A quick and easy way to make onion rings it some take some pancake mix, the kind where you just add water, mix it with water until its the thickness you want it to be, slice your onions into rings and coat in the mixture. Fry them until brown. I used about half an inch of oil in my cast iron skillet.

I added some to my sandwich and they gave it a nice little crunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment